Initially our donors are selected by our sperm bank staff, based on a number of parameters:
- Sperm Quality
- Criminal Background Check
- 4 Generation Family Health History
Further screening includes blood and urine analysis:
- Physical Exam every 6 months (including EKG)
- Chemistry Panel
- Complete Blood Count
- ABO-Rh Blood typing
- HTLV I/II
- Hemoglobin Fractionation
- Hepatitis B Surface Antigen
- Hepatitis B Core Antibody
- Hepatitis C Viral Antibody
- CMV IgG/IgM
The genetic testing we do includes the following:
- 4 generation family medical history, which is reviewed by a trained genetic specialist and a medical doctor (all donors)
- Cystic Fibrosis screening
→ Up to 97 mutations on donors with optional advanced testing.
→ 32 standard mutations tested on all donors include:
G85E A455E S549N R1162X 711+1 G→T
R117H ∆I507 S549R W1282X 2789+5 G→A
R334W ∆F508 G551D N1303K 1717-I G→A
R347H V520F R553X 394delTT 1898+1 G→A
R347P G542X R560T 3876delA 2183AA→G
2184delA 3905insT 1078delT 621+1 G→T 3120+1 G→A
3659delC 3849+10kb C→T
- Chromosome analysis (all donors)
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) (all donors)
- Sickle Cell Disease. For all donors a Hemoglobin Fractionation analysis is done to detect this indirectly.
- Thalassemia (all donors). A Hemoglobin Fractionation analysis is done to detect this indirectly. Please contact us if you would like to have your donor genetically screened for carrier status.
- Bloom Syndrome (donors with Azhkenazi Jewish Ancestry)
- Canavan disease (donors with Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry)
- Familial Dysautonomia (donors with Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry)
- Fanconi Anemia type C (donors with Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry)
- Gaucher disease (donors with Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry)
- Niemann-Pick type A disease (donors with Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry)
- Tay-Sachs disease (donors with Ashkenazi Jewish or French Canadian ancestry)
Advanced genetic matching available:
- Matchright is an advanced genetic matching service powered by genetic information company GenePeeks.
- By digitally combining your DNA with the DNA of our donors, Matchright builds you a personalized catalogue of risk-screened donor matches.
- This personalized catalogue filters out donors with a genetic profile that – in combination with your own DNA – demonstrate a risk of your future child expressing one or more of over 500 serious genetic conditions.
- To order the Matchright service with a $500 Seattle Sperm Bank discount, please visit www.GenePeeks.com/Seattle500.